We don’t need to tell you that avocados are one of the most popular fruits out there, but we’ll happily drop a reminder that their peak season ramps up during the springtime. That means fresh guacamole, stellar school salad bars, and trendy poke bowls are better than ever.
- Seasonality: February-April, August-October
- Favorite Varieties: Hass, Fuerte, Choquette
- Try Cooking: Avocado Cobb Salad
Once the mad dash for boysenberries begins every April, you know for a fact that spring is in full effect. Make sure to take advantage of boysenberries’ sweet/tart flavor and juicy texture before their unfairly short season is up. Use these selection and storage guidelines to ensure your berries stay at the top of their game.
- Seasonality: April-June
- Favorite Varieties: Brûlée, Thornless
- Try Cooking: Boysenberry Pie
Often referred to as “pineapple guavas,” feijoas are a truly special part of the season. The fruit is rewardingly complex; simultaneously balancing pineapple, guava, strawberry, and lemon flavor notes to create a one of a kind eating experience. No matter what you do, don’t sleep on this one.
- Seasonality: March-June, September-December
- Favorite Varieties: Andre, Mammoth, Triumph
- Try Cooking: Feijoa Spring Salad
Kumquats start picking up speed in the early winter and luckily, they don’t run out of gas in the spring. This citrus fruit is a welcome substitution if you’re tired of the heavyweights; kumquats are truly unlike other citrus fruits because they start with a subtle sweetness and finish things off with a powerful blast of tartness. For an intriguing dish, try substituting them into citrus forward dishes like orange chicken or orange creamsicles!
- Seasonality: November-March
- Favorite Varieties: Nagami, Meiwa, Fukushu
- Try Cooking: Kumquat Moroccan Chicken
Although nectarines are normally associated with summer, their peak season actually begins in the middle of spring! Lucky for us, we can start utilizing the rich floral-ness of nectarines to get a head start on light cocktails and mouthwatering appetizers.
- Seasonality: April-August
- Favorite Varieties: Flavortop, Sunglo, Heavenly White
- Try Cooking: Nectarine Crostini