All good stewardship starts with firm goals. Working in the central coast soil since 1920, Andy Boy prides itself on keeping the following promises.
- Making efficient use of non-renewable resources
- Sustaining the economic viability of farms
- Enhancing the environment and quality of life for all
Sustainability Starts At Home
By growing, harvesting, packing, cooling, and shipping all of their own products, Andy Boy has a high degree of control over their environmental practices. Their environmental attitude extends to throughout their company. By consolidating and centrally locating their facilities department-wide, they significantly reduce the travel distance and time from field to facility. This lowers potential air pollution from trucks.
Tools Of The Trade
When constructing their facilities, Andy Boy chose the best of the best. Their equipment, materials, and lighting are all top-of-the-line in regards to energy efficiency. Additional systems such as variable frequency drives on major cooling equipment, automated doors, individual forced air tunnels and a state of the art computer system all ensure top quality produce that is environmentally sustainable.
Saving The World, One Seed At A Time
Using these practices in tandem has really paid off. From a case study with SureHarvest, an industry leader in sustainability certification, the results of their environmentally focused programs can clearly be seen. Every year, Andy Boy has been able to…
- Prevent 593 metric tons of CO² emissions from entering the atmosphere.
- This has resulted in stopping more than 4,000 metric tons of emission since the start of their program.
- Keep 123 cars off the road by reducing travel distance from field to cooler.
- Eliminate 300,000 miles of drive time, or 12 trips around the earth.
So the next time you purchase produce, consider suppliers like Andy Boy that are focused on sustainability. Giving back never tasted so good.